Open Educational Resources (OER) are "high-quality teaching, learning, and research materials that are free for people everywhere to use and repurpose." - The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
Open - Openly Licensed to Support "5R" Benefits - Retain, Reuse, Revise, Remix, and Redistribute.
Educational - Designed for educational use.
Resources - Materials that support teaching and learning, including textbooks, video, assessments, etc.
OER materials are released under an open license granting permission for every one to:
- Retain -- users have the right to make, archive, and own copies of the content
- Reuse -- content can be reused in its unaltered form
- Revise -- content can be adapted, adjusted, modified, and altered
- Remix -- original or revised content can be combined with other content to create something new
- Redistribute -- copies of the content can be shared with others in its original, revised or remixed form.
OER include learning materials such as:
- open textbooks
- full courses
- homework assignments
- lab activities