- Traded on the exchanges
- Required to provide ongoing detailed information in filings made with the Securities & Exchange CommissionPrivate Company
- Owned by a closed group
- Not required to release information and can be more challenging to research
- Can range from small businesses to large well-known companies (Hallmark Cards and Mars Candy, for example).
Affiliated with Another Company?
- Linked or related to larger firms
- Several are household names but are difficult to research until one establishes its relationship to the larger company (e.g., American Broadcasting Corp. (ABC) is owned by Disney)
Source: Baruch College, Newman Library, Subject Guide http://guides.newman.baruch.cuny.edu/content.php?pid=67719&sid=564563