Benefits of Community Engagement and Volunteering for The Human Library® at Lehman College:
- Develop skills including organizing your ideas.
- Develop communication skills such as story telling, listening, non-verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Build confidence and personal growth.
- Make a difference and inspire someone by telling your story.
- You'll feel good helping others and get to know yourself better.
- Opportunity to gain a different perspective through a conversation.
- Opportunity to provide a different perspective through a conversation.
- Reduce stereotypes to help build more understanding through a conversation.
- Network and make connections with fellow volunteers and readers.
- Add volunteer service to an application or resume.
Relationship with the Institution
- The Lehman College community benefits, through your engagement, by learning about the diverse people on campus.
- Civic responsibility - investing in the Lehman College community with your service.
- Get to know the Lehman College Community.
- Support current students by sharing your personal experience and story of resilience.
- Be an agent of change.
- Receive a Letter of Participation/Certificate of Appreciation from the Human Library® coordinator.
- Receive a Human Library® - Digital Badge for volunteering as a Human Book.
- Refreshments for Human Library® volunteers.