Now that you have found information on your topic, consider how you are going to use it:
- It is helpful to read through all of your sources to make sure that you have the information you need. As you read through them, you may find citations to other relevant sources. Looking through the references in all of your sources can be helpful in finding these additional sources.
- Evaluate the credibility of each source of information--particularly sources on the web. Check for biases of authors and institutions publishing information.
- Are there differences of opinion in the research? Will your research topic take a stand on an issue? Do you have research to back up your arguments?
- Are there gaps in the research? Circle back and research these questions.
- Formulate a Research Topic statement or question that you will answer or address in your paper.
- Make an outline for the points (supporting arguments) you will write in your paper.
- Now you are ready to start writing! You may need to do more research to answer questions that come up as you write.